Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My First Blog

Well I finally made it! To my blog, I mean. It is always an adventure to keep starting a new blog. I feel a little bit like I am in the movie Groundhog Day, as I seem to always be at a new beginning. On the other hand, perhaps that is the nature of the educational cycle. In May, many students graduated, and here we are now somewhere at the beginning or in the middle of a new cycle. We have cycles within cycles: courses repeating in successive semesters. Yet, as I think about it, there is no true repetition. Each iteration of something has its own distinctive niche in time.

Time makes everything different. Time is the dimension of change, and each present is an illusion of permanence as Time flushes everything away in its relentless cycles of erosion and acquisition. Cycles appear to be "true"---although the notion of recurrence is always colored by Time, which never stands still, which waits for no one.

Technology extends our reach through Time and Space. Technology extends our expressive power. There are ways that technology helps us look at where we were, where we are, and where we are going. We find ourselves on the brink of new discoveries and new developments. At the heart of this process is a deeper awareness of the necessity of sharing. Sharing is the essence of the educational process. With sharing we inherit a new worlding of the world.

No comments: